استشهاد شاب برصاص الاحتلال في خان يونس الرئاسة: المسجد الأقصى المبارك سيبقى عنوانا للهوية العربية والإسلامية للقدس بريطانيا وأستراليا وكندا: إغلاق الاحتلال التحقيق في استهداف قافلة المطبخ المركزي العالمي أمر مشين مجلس الأمن يبدأ مشاورات اختيار أمين عام جديد للأمم المتحدة خلفا لغوتيريش الإمارات والسعودية وقطر والأردن وإندونيسيا وباكستان وتركيا ومصر يرفضون مخطط "E1" اللجنة المركزية لفتح تنعى القائد والمناضل الشهيد فتحي خازم وتؤكد: نودع رجلا من رجال الحركة إيران: العقوبات الأميركية المتعاقبة فشلت.. والرهان على الاستسلام غير المشروط لم ينجح محافظة القدس: استهداف الأقصى يتواصل والقدس تواجه مخاطر متصاعدة تقرير: الجيش الإسرائيلي حذر من اشتعال الوضع بالضفة فلسطين تسجل حضورها في بطولة كأس رئيس الاتحاد الدولي للتايكواندو G3 الصحة اللبنانية: نحو 9 آلاف شهيد في عدوان الاحتلال المستمر منذ أكتوبر 2023 منصور يطالب باتخاذ إجراءات عاجلة لوقف مخطط "إي 1" ومواجهة أجندة إسرائيل للضم الطقس: أجواء حارة في جميع المناطق مستوطنون يمنعون المواطنين من رعي مواشيهم في الأغوار الشمالية الاحتلال يشن حملة مداهمات في الضفة الغربية ويعتقل خمسة مواطنين الذهب يرتفع 1.6% لتصل الأونصة لأكثر من 4590 دولار مستوطنون ينظمون حفل زفاف فوق أراضٍ مصادرة بالقدس تقرير: عطاءات استيطانية جديدة وحصار منازل فلسطينية في الضفة الغربية 45 ألف مسافر تنقلوا عبر معبر الكرامة الأسبوع الماضي 73419 شهيدا منذ أكتوبر 2023 في قطاع غزة

UN accuses Israel of possible war crime after shelling of Gaza schools kills 19

Al-Huriya News Agency - Faiza Al-Tanboura had not spoken for 21 days since a missile strike destroyed her home. In the early hours of this morning she found her voice: “The children. Don't let them kill the children,” she shouted as she ran out into the playground of a UN school under Israeli tank fire. 

Today's attack on the Jabaliya Elementary Girls School has been described as a possible war crime by the UN. The Israeli authorities, it said, had been told no less than 17 times that it was full of refugees, the last warning message delivered on 8.50 on Tuesday evening.

But, seven and half hours later, a series of shells smashed into the building, destroying two of the classrooms, killing 19 and injuring more than a hundred others. Pierre Krahenbuhl, the commissioner for UN agency for Palestinian refugees, described the killings as “a source of universal shame”. Investigations clearly showed, he maintained, that Israeli fire was to blame, condemning “in the strongest possible terms this serious violation of international law by Israeli forces.”

The Israeli military stated that militants had been firing mortar rounds from the vicinity of the school and troops had returned fire; a spokeswoman added that an investigation was under way to ascertain what had happened. Hamas and Islamic Jihad had been accused repeatedly of storing and using weapons in civilian areas; and the Israelis have produced photographs showing, they said, rockets being stored in mosques.

The White House condemned the shelling of the school, saying it was “extremely concerned that thousands of internally displaced Palestinians who have been called on by the Israeli military to evacuate their homes are not safe in UN designated shelters in Gaza”.